By Rita R. Robison, Consumer Specialist
When my daughter and her family lived in Miami, I visited several times when there were hurricane warnings.
After living through one, Francis I think, I remember reading an article in the Miami Herald about a family that had survived the hurricane, but experienced a tragedy anyway. They left a candle burning unattended. It started a fire and destroyed their mobile home.
Don’t let it happen to you. After surviving Hurricane Irene, follow these recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control:
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, only use generators, pressure washers, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices outside and away from open windows, doors, and air vents.
- Follow chain saw safety rules and use chain saws according to manufacturer instructions.
- Avoid wild or stray animals.
- Avoid the use of electric tools or appliances while standing in water.
- Drive safely, always wear your seatbelt, don’t drink and drive, and don’t drive when sleepy.
See the CDC's “Prevent Injury After a Disaster” for more information on these safety tips and additional recommendations.