For years, I’ve skipped the holiday lights on the outside of my house. Since it’s the coldest time of the year and electricity demands are high for heat, I don’t think light displays are an environmental thing to do.
Other tips from dealnews.com for saving money include:
- Skip the wrapping paper. I’ve wrapped presents in the comics, new towels, and new dishtowels. Reusing gift bags is great, too.
- Don’t get carried away with gift cards. Have gift cards as part of your holiday budget, and don’t go over it.
- Cut the costs of holiday cards. Buy cards on sale, send eCard, or have your kids make cards.
- Reduce transportation costs. Order gifts online.
- Keep the cost of hostess gifts down. Buy wine by the case and shop for low cost gifts.
- Watch the costs for your own party. Ask guests to bring an entrée, side dish, or beverage.
- Make decorations yourself. Use your Christmas cards as decorations, such as hang them on your shutters with wooden clothes pins.
See dealnews.com’s “Ho, Ho, Hold It!: 8 Hidden Holiday Costs and How to Avoid Them” for details on these ideas.