In addition to honoring Americans who have died in wars, Memorial Day is a day to gather with family and friends to enjoy summertime fun.
For details on what Americans are up to on Memorial Day, WalletHub offers a “2016 Memorial Day By The Numbers Report.”
Highlights of the report are:
- 42+ million: Americans have served the country in wartime.
- 3 million: Members of the armed services have lost their lives in conflict.
- 1.5 million: People watch the National Memorial Day parade on television.
- 89% – Of Memorial Day weekend travelers will drive to their destination, a 2.1 percent increase from 2015.
- 818: Hot dogs consumed every second from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 7 billion total.
- 62% – Of Americans plan to barbecue over the Memorial Day weekend.
- 900,000+: Expected participants and spectators in Rolling Thunder, the annual Memorial Day motorcycle rally in Washington, D.C.
- 207+: Running races held each Memorial Day.
- No. 1: Orlando, Florida, the most popular destination for Memorial Day travels.
- 14% – Of Americans likely to take advantage of Memorial Day sales.
- 20% to 90% – Discounts shoppers can expect to see on home goods and spring clothing at Memorial Day sales.
- 25% – Increase in home-cooking fires on Memorial Day over the average.
- 50,500 – Estimated number of injuries from car accidents each Memorial Day weekend.
- 439: Average number of fatalities from Memorial Day weekend traffic accidents each year.
- 44% – Of the traffic fatalities during Memorial Day weekend that are alcohol related.
Best wishes for your Memorial Day remembrances and celebrations. Be sure to stay safe.