The average cost of an airplane trip is $370. While finding the cheapest airline ticket is easier these days due to the Internet, other factors also are important in airline travel.
To help consumers make more-informed decisions, WalletHub, a personal finance website, compared the 10 largest U.S. airlines, plus two regional carriers, in 13 categories. They range from cancellation and delay rates to baggage mishaps and in-flight comfort. The cost of in-flight amenities also was examined.
The best airlines in key categories include:
- Best airline overall – Alaska Airlines
- Cheapest airline – Spirit Airlines
- Most reliable airline – Alaska Airlines
- Most comfortable airlines – JetBlue Airways
- Best airline for pets – Alaska Airlines
- Least complained-about airlines – Southwest Airlines
For details, see “2017’s Best Airlines.”