The zippers on the bean bag chairs can be opened and children can then crawl inside, get trapped, and suffocate or choke on the bean bag chair’s foam beads. The voluntary standard requires non-refillable bean bag chairs to have closed and permanently disabled zippers.
A 13-year old boy from McKinney, Texas, died and a 3-year-old girl from Lexington, Ky., died after suffocating from lack of air and inhaling the chair’s foam beads. Both children were found inside the chairs.
The recalled bean bag chairs have two zippers that can be unzipped and opened, including one on the exterior cover and other directly underneath that zipper.