Efforts are underway reconnect farmers and consumers, including encouraging young people to be farmers. Farmers are aging, with the average age in the United States 56.
Danielle Nierenberg, president of the Food Tank, a think tank focusing on food, offers a list of 10 projects throughout the world that are encouraging youth to choose agriculture, bringing people together over food, and restoring lost culinary traditions.
The projects are:
- Developing Innovations in School and Community Cultivation – Uganda
- Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food (KYF2) – USA
- Tackling the Agriculture-Nutrition Disconnect – India
- Fresh! From Finland
- The Center for Foods of the Americas – Latin America
- Manna From Our Roof – Italy
- The Prettiest Kitchen Gardens – Hungary
- The Binational Center for the Development of Oaxacan Indigenous Communities – USA
- The European Council for Young Farmers – Europe
- USAID Kenya Dairy Sector Competitiveness Programme
Nierenberg described the projects in an article in Monday’s Guardian.