The Food and Drug Administration has banned the use of toxic lead acetate in consumer hair dyes, an action that will help protect the public from hazardous chemicals. Lead acetate is the ingredient that slowly darkens gray hair when used every few days and can increase the level of lead in users’ bodies.
Walmart is recalling about 3,900 bottles of aromatherapy room spray that may contain a rare and dangerous bacteria that can cause serious injury and death. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tested a version of the product and it contained Burkholderia pseudomallei.
Before we know it, Halloween will be here. It’s a fun time, but safety also needs to be considered. Nearly 4,000 Halloween-related injuries occur yearly in the United States. Common Halloween mishaps are slips, trips, and falls; lacerations, burns, and eye injuries; food poisoning; costume related injuries; and pedestrian accidents.
In my last article, Jason Brick, founder of Safest Family on the Block, discussed how two things parents worry about most on Halloween – candy tampering and stranger danger – aren't things that really happen. In this article, Brick covers one of the most common dangers to kids on Halloween night: costumes.
Jason Brick, founder of Safest Family on the Block, provides lots of great safety information through his newsletter, podcast, website, blog, and books. With his permission, I’ll be posting a three-part series that appeared in his newsletter on Halloween safety.