In these tough economic times, baby boomers may be delaying retirement and working longer in their current jobs or looking for new employment opportunities. And, with layoffs mounting, more boomers are losing their jobs and are in the job market.
The 2008 AARP Best Employers for Workers Over 50 listing offers unique information for boomers who are job hunting.
“A diverse group of corporations and not-for-profits are increasingly recognizing the importance of innovative policies as employers seek to retain and recruit experienced workers,” AARP CEO Bill Novelli said in a statement announcing the winners. “Progressive practices lead to more productive workers.”
Novelli said that in the face of rising health care costs, many best employers on AARP’s list are adopting practices such as health screenings and other wellness programs that will pay off for both the employee and the employer.
AARP selects what it describes as best employers by asking companies and agencies to submit an application outlining their exemplary policies and practices toward 50 and over workers.
Candidates are examined to ensure that practices meet the needs of mature workers. Key areas of consideration include:
- Recruiting practices.
- Opportunities for training.
- Education and career development.
- Workplace accommodations.
- Alternative work options, such as flexible scheduling, job sharing, and phased retirement.
- Employee health and pension benefits.
- Retiree work opportunities.
- Training and development.
The top 25 2008 AARP Best Employers Winners are:
- Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- Scripps Health, San Diego, Calif.
- S. C. Johnson & Son Inc., Racine, Wis.
- The YMCA of Greater Rochester, Rochester, N.Y.
- Lee Memorial Health System, Fort Myers, Fla.
- Securian, St. Paul, Minn.
- First Horizon National Corporation, Memphis, Tenn.
- Stanley Consultants, Muscatine, Iowa
- Bon Secours Richmond Health System, Richmond, Va.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Chicago, Ill.
- National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md.
- Central Florida Health Alliance, Leesburg, Fla.
- Brevard Public Schools, Viera, Fla.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
- Atlantic Health, Morristown, N.J.
- TriHealth Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio
- Mercy Health System, Janesville, Wis.
- Adecco Group North America, Melville, N.Y.
- Beaumont Hospitals, Royal Oak, Mich.
- L.L.Bean Inc., Freeport, Maine
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass.
- Jennings Center for Older Adults, Garfield Heights, Ohio
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, Durham, N.C.
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va.
- Pinnacol Assurance, Denver, Colo.
AARP also selected 25 additional best employers.