For his first post on WalletPop, humor writer Marc Acito, pictured above, tackled the topic of saving money by cutting your own hair.
Acito's tips include:
- Shave your head with clippers, if you’re male.
- Avoid the Flowbee Vacuum Haircut System.
- Stick with a single color rather than trying highlights.
- Select a one-length haircut, because it’s the easiest one to manage.
- Buy a quality pair of hair-cutting scissors.
- Check the article “How to Cut Your Own Hair” on How to Do Things for suggestions.
- Cut a little at a time to avoid a big mistake that can’t be corrected.
I’ve never been brave enough to try cutting my own hair, although I trimmed my daughter’s bangs when they were young.
My mom cut and permed my hair and my sisters’ hair when we were in grade school. The results were usually O.K.
If you really want to try cutting your own hair to save money, here are resources to help you:
“How to Cut Your Own Hair” – eHow
“Be Your Own Hairstylist: How to Cut Your Own Hair” – Life123
“Cut Your Own Hair” – Planet Green
“How to Trim Bangs” – About.com
“How to Layer Cut Your Own Hair” – Howcast
“How to Layer Cut Your Own Hair” – eHow
“Guys: How to Cut Your Own Hair” – Associated Content