Top 10 travel destinations for Memorial Day 2015
May 22, 2015
About 37.2 million Americans will be traveling during the Memorial Day holiday weekend, a 4.7 percent increase from the 35.5 million people who traveled last year, according to AAA Travel.
Where will these travelers be headed?
To find out, I reviewed more than three dozen websites to determine what the top Memorial Day destinations are this year. My findings, with a brief description on why these 10 cities are hot for the holiday, are:
1. Miami – Huge beach party, music, art, food.
2. New York City – Concerts, films, art, a parade, history, food.
3. Washington, D.C. – History, a parade, concerts.
4. Las Vegas – Parties, shows, gambling.
5. San Diego – Water views, food, theater, ceremonies.
6. Chicago – Art, architecture, a parade, fireworks, museums, history, food.
7. Palm Springs – Summer activities, golf, art.
8. Los Angeles – Festivals, museums, ceremonies, beaches, food.
9. San Francisco – Military remembrances and sites, music, art, a carnival, walking tours, food.
10. Austin, Texas – Boating and other outdoor activities, music, festival.
Portland, Ore., New Orleans, and Seattle also were frequently mentioned.
If you’re vacationing at one of these spots, have a great time, especially if you get to enjoy the beach and sunshine.
You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.