A recall of about 350,000 VH101 Personal Vortex electric space heaters is being reannounced. The recall was first announced in April 2018.
The electric space heater can overheat when in use, posing fire and burn hazards.
In December 2017, a 90-year-old man in Chanhassen, Minnesota, died as a result of a fire involving the recalled heater. Vornado has received 19 reports of the heaters catching fire.
This recall involves Vornado VH101 Personal Vortex electric space heaters sold in the following colors: black, coral orange, grayed jade, cinnamon, fig, ice white, and red. The heaters measure about 7.2 inches long by 7.8 inches wide by 7.10 inches high and have two heat settings – low and high – and a fan only/no heat setting. “Vornado” with a “V” behind it is printed on the front of the heaters. The model/type “VH101,” serial number, and ETL mark are printed on a silver rating label on the bottom of it.
The space heaters were sold at Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Menards, Orchard Supply, Target, and other stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com, Target.com, Vornado.com, and other websites from August 2009 through March 2018. The cost was about $30.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled heaters and contact Vornado for instructions on how to receive a refund or a free replacement unit, the company and U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission advised.
For more information, call Vornado at 855-215-5131 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit www.vornado.com and click on “Recalls” in the lower right corner of the homepage or www.vornado.com/recalls and click on the VH101 Personal Heater recall button.
For details on other recalls, go to www.recalls.gov.