That makes Valentine’s Day the third most expensive holiday on the calendar for U.S. consumers.
About 36 percent of people expect their Valentine to spend at least $50 on a gift, according to WalletHub’s “2022 Valentine’s Day Survey.”
Here are the top Valentine’s Day facts for 2022 from the survey:
- $23.9 billion: Total Valentine’s Day spending projected for 2022. That’s $175.41 per person celebrating.
- $235 vs. $119: Men will spend almost twice as much as women, on average, for Valentine’s Day 2022.
- $10.7 billion: Amount Americans will spend on jewelry, $6.2 billion; flowers, $2.3 billion; and candy, $2.2 billion.
- 26 percent: Share of marriages that begin online.
- 33 percent: Overall online dating activity increase across the United States between Feb. 1 and Feb. 14.
- 58 percent: Share of Americans who say that romantic gestures are more important to them now than they were pre-pandemic.