Don’t use Carolina Milano high-powdered magnetic balls as they can cause injury and death, safety agency warns
Tests showed the magnetic balls sold in cubes don’t comply with federal safety standard for magnets, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said in a statement.
When high-powered magnets are swallowed, they can attract other magnets and get lodged in the digestive system. This can cause perforations, twisting, and/or blockage of the intestines, infection, blood poisoning, and death.
The seller, CarolinaMilano.com, of Israel, isn’t cooperating with the CPSC on the recall of the magnets and isn’t offering a remedy to consumers.
The Carolina Milano has sold recreational magnets since 2014. The sets in the CPSC warning are 216 multicolored, 5-millimeter magnetic balls in the shape of a cube. The cubes were sold online by the company for about $27.
The federal safety standard for magnets makes it unlawful to sell non-compliant magnet products manufactured after Oct. 21, 2022.
The CPSC urges consumers to stop using and dispose of the magnetic balls cubes immediately.
For details on product recalls, see www.recalls.gov.